Tour of Neighborhood Russian Orthodox Cathedrals
A small group of CHV members joined fellow member Sarah Coffin on our latest Architecture and Art tour, this one exploring the two Russian Orthodox churches right here in our Carnegie Hill neighborhood.
The first, St Nicholas, on East 97th street, completed in 1902, was accorded Landmark status in 1973. Restoration in the early 2000’s, with partial funding from the New York State Sacred Spaces grant program, revealed Tsarist frescoes painted over in the Soviet era.
The second, Our Lady of the Sign on 93rd Street, formerly the Baker Mansion, has an interior re-purposed to house the Russian Orthodox cathedral, plus a chapel, residences, and reception rooms.
Sarah Coffin O'Connor & Tom O’Connor,
Carnegie Hill Village